WELCOME!

WELCOME!
jazz - 22 - sydney - lifestyle blogger
Powered by Blogger.
FACEBOOKTWITTERINSTAGRAMPINTERESTTUMBLR
2 Feb 2015

Skincare Favourites


One of my 2015 New Year's Resolutions was to get that clear skin I have always dreamed of. I've experimented with hundreds of things in the past, but I decided to look for a more consistent routine that's easy to follow and maintain. I've discovered various natural and pharmaceutical products that I have been loving this past month and am hoping to continue using for the rest of the year as the results have been pleasantly positive. Keep reading to find out what skincare favourites made the list for this January. 


Nubian Heritage Honey & Black Seed Soap

I've recently challenged myself to eliminate as many endocrine disrupting chemicals (things that stuff up your hormones) from my skin care routine as possible. The traditional soap bar receives a lot of criticism in the beauty world. Packed with synthetic fragrances and colours, as well as a bunch of suds-alluring skin drying elements, the typical soap bar is far from a beauty favourite. But Nubian Heritage has changed that for me. The Honey & Black Seed soap is certified organic, cruelty free, contains ethically traded ingredients and is sustainably produced. It contains vitamin E, apricot, coconut, wild honey, and black seeds. Black seeds in the Arabian and African worlds are known for their incredible healing and curative properties, so naturally this was a perfect choice. I tend to prefer soap bars over regular liquid soaps as it cuts out the junk that is nasty plastic packaging (just thinking of Mama Earth on this one) so I think Nubian Heritage really hits the nail on the head here. It is incredibly gentle to use on the face and doesn't smell like grass if you know what I mean. I also find it best works as a face wash after having removed my makeup with coconut oil. I purchased mine from iHerb.

Acure Moroccan Argan Oil

Another organically certified multitasking must have is the Acure Argan Oil, a 100% natural beauty remedy perfect for just about anything! After no longer conditioning my hair after I shampoo as it felt counter productive to drench my hair with silicons to make it only APPEAR softer, I now comb through with this Argan oil after towel drying my hair. I use about 4 pumps applied from root to tip a I'm left with ridiculously glossy hair. What's awesome is my hair not feel like its been masked with a heavy product and if you think this oil makes your hair greasy, think again. It disappears once the hair is completely dry only to keep it looking REALLY soft and REALLY healthy. It's also a perfect solution to detangle hair if you have a Rapunzel moment, the brush slides through the hair with little to no effort. Although it's my hair care staple it works like magic on the skin to minimize scars and stretch marks. They don't call it "liquid gold" for nothing! The Acure Argan oil can also be purchased from iHerb.

Epiduo - Adapalene and Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Treatment 

Ahh, those darn pimples. I must have done something terrible in my past life, because my acne will not quit! In fact I'm inspired by it's commitment to ruin most aspects of my self confidence and flood my skin with redness, bumps, and of course, the longevity of scarring. But just like my acne, I'm no quitter, and I'm on a journey to climb this mountain no matter how long it takes me. I've found some success in various treatments, but there's one I keep revisiting, and that's clever little Benzoyl Perozide. It, along with Salicylic Acid, is the only scientifically proven acne treatment (read treatment NOT cure). If you can surpass the purging periods, the severe itchiness, dryness, flaking, and moderate redness, you will find a beacon of light, where bumps and even scars to a degree begin to disappear before your eyes. Although regular over the counter BP at either 2.5%, 5% or even 10% will suffice, I wanted to up the anti and try a new drug launched only recently to add to my acne-fighting repertoire. Epiduo contains both BP at 2.5% and Adapalene at 0.1% which helps to accelerate the healing process of the epidermis. I've been fairly confident with using this, and in the first month I was bump free, however the second month has crept upon me and the purging has begun which is typical when using most prescribed medication. I'm still postive about its effect, and will continue to use it for another 2 months before I make a solid conclusion. Until then, it's been pretty cool. You apply a pea sized amount only once a day (at night) and you're done, which is fairly low maintenance and therefore that much more attractive to use. It's definitely worth asking your Doctor for more information if you're interested. 

Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion

If you've ever questioned a doctor, dermatologist, or pharmacist for the best basic moisturiser to keep your skin soft, and irritation free, Cetaphil is most definitely at the top of their list, as it has recently been on mine. Moisturisers are a funny little phenomenon, particularly for those who suffer with oily and acne prone skin. We have been conditioned to believe there is no reason to hydrate your skin if you're already overproducing oil. But that couldn't be more further from the truth. Oil prodcution in acne prone skin is your faces cry for help. It's practically dying of thirst and therefore is overcompensating with whatever moisture it can find, and sebum is the best it can muster. Because of this ugly conflict we've created, many people run at the sight of adding more slick to the surface, and I wouldn't be surprised, considering most lotions are packed with lubricants and oils to cover the skin with a false blanket of moisture. Cetaphil works differently. It doesn't sit on the skin and further clog your pores (non-comedogenic). It's lanolin, paraben and fragrance free which is essential if you have sensitive skin, and is light enough to use every day, but effective enough to fix your problem; dry skin! This product is so perfect in all ways possible, and is suitable for even babies. If you're still concerned about keeping the oil at bay, Cetaphil does provide a lotion specifically for oily skin, providing efficient hydration while keeping shine to a minimum.


Manuka Honey

What a gem this Earth has provided us with. Manuka honey has been an exceptional addition to both consuming, and applying topically to my skin. Honey has a natural antibacterial effect and can aid healing wounds and burns. Honey masks have also been recently more popular and are worth the sticky experience. It feels a little odd at first but after a good 15 to 20 minutes and after cleansing off with warm to hot water, your skin has a distinct renewed sensation. Manuka honey isn't cheap, especially if you are purchasing top quality, but it is worth every cent. I also advise using it to sweeten your tea instead of regular white refined sugar if you use it. Heal yourself inside and out.

Tea Tonic Complexion Tea 

Ok ok, so I get that it's really difficult to observe the effects that a cup of tea would have on the skin. But Tea Tonic's complexion tea has a really awesome detoxifying response in the body that really works to cleanse your insides - which in turn means clearer outsides! It has added antioxidants and because it doesn't have a bitter aftertaste like most teas it's a pleasure to drink and has definitely made my list of favourites. Specifially it contains Nettle, Red Clover, Burdock and Dendelion Leaf, all concoted by natrupath and herbalist Lisa Hilbert. To add to it's benefits, it has an incrdibly rapid calming effect and is perfect to drink before bed. For tea lovers alike, I'd say this is a must to try.

Dry Skin Brushing

After my second laser hair removal treatment over a month ago I had a really strange histamine reaction and my legs began to itch like crazy! I was losing serious sleep and no amount of lotion would help ease the frustration. To avoid spreading bacteria I refused to scratch with my fingers and found this nifty little item in the shower (thanks mum). I disinfected the bristles with a bit of Dettol and began brushing away. The sensation of having a severe itch being pleasurably scratched is like nothing I've ever experienced (skingasm is the word that comes to mind). My nerves were instantly stimulated in all the right ways and I was finally able to sleep. This routine carried on every night for about a week before the itching finally began to subside, but one thing I noticed was how clear, smooth and taught my legs felt. I had totally forgot how beneficial dry skin brushing is because it was certainly not my intended purpose but it's been my little multitasking hero for the past few weeks. A few other positives to dry skin brushing is encouraged blood circulation, stimulation of cell renewal and the lymphatic system, superseding cellulite and preventing premature aging to reveal much brighter skin. I've found a silver lining behind the dark cloud that is itchy skin and it's a newly found habit to employ to any skin care regime. Just beware not to try this with wet skin as it can result in stretched and saggy skin overtime. Dry brushes can be purchased for less then $2 at any dollar store.

Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream Duo 

Lately, I've been really keen to leave the high end full coverage foundations for more important occasions and opt for something more suitable for daily use that still grants me enough coverage to look close to normal. BB creams seem to be the best bet, but one thing I've noticed is they provide more lotion then they do coverage, and me and my scarred skin felt a little neglected in the market. I was given a tube of the Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream as a little gift from one of my friend's parents as a small token of gratitude (I love parents) and although a little confused I accepted the gift with grace. One day while rummaging through my makeup bag I found it unopened and thought to try something new. It's very loose in texture and I was worried it may have been expired as I had left it unused for months. Still, I continued my intrigue and buffed it in with a foundation kabuki. I was beyond surprised at the coverage. BEYOND surprised! It seemed so milky that it wouldn't hold up even the slightest veil but it proved me oh so wrong. I would describe the coverage as medium and somewhat buildable, it's oil-free and contains SPF 15. You can still see flaws but the redness isn't anywhere near as aggressive or angry looking. On top of everything fabulous that this is, it gives me a really luminous dewy finish which I struggled to achieve with full coverage foundation. It keeps me looking like the 22 year old that I am, and not an haggard cake-faced woman (to put it bluntly). And finally to address the bags and dark circles under my eyes I decided to go for the mini tube BB perfector which is more orange in colour, slightly thicker in texture and can be applied with the roller ball applicator which has a nice cooling sensation to the skin. This duo truly is perfect, it's saved me money and time, is a breeze to apply and delivers the results it promises.

What are your skincare favourites for the upcoming year?

X 

2 comments:

  1. So instead of conditioning you hair you just put a bit of argan oil in it?? I recently bought some whilst here in England and I just use it sparingly.. I might just try eliminating conditioner and seeing how it goes!

    Georgia | www.georgiajade.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I sure do!! It feels so much lighter compared to conditioning with the regular stuff but its still incredibly soft, if not softer!

      Delete

Currently Reading:

POPULAR

archive

SEARCH