WELCOME!

WELCOME!
jazz - 22 - sydney - lifestyle blogger
Powered by Blogger.
FACEBOOKTWITTERINSTAGRAMPINTERESTTUMBLR
18 Oct 2014

HOW TO: Pull a Successful All-Nighter



DISCLAIMER: Before I begin I just want to mention I do not recommend these habits for everyday. This is purely advised for those really awful times we decide to put life before studies, and rightfully so, but eventually need to pull our socks up and get work done!

So why an "all-nighter"? Well, how often do we find ourselves wanting to sit down and write a report on something of little interest at the sensible time of 8pm, at a delightfully appropriate TWO WEEKS before due date? Who actually LIVES like that!? (although having said that, I desperately admire you guys and want whatever anti-procrastination magic you're on). But really, an all-nighter, despite the incredible stress inducing anxiety it offers, is something we will inevitably consider at least once in our lives, and it doesn't have to be as bad as it sounds! I find that window of time past midnight is always productively silent. Nobody updates their feeds on Facebook,  no one is up texting or calling, the TV is hopefully turned off, and the house is...well it's actually eerily silent :/ but HEY! that in itself can keep you awake and focused!

So if you are approaching that crowded assessment period, or exams are creeping up on you, here are a few tips I have to make that nasty all-nighter that little bit more successful - as tried and tested by me!



Food for Fuel

 

 

CarbLOAD

And I don't mean the sensible fruit and veg carbs, I mean the white starchy "naughty" stuff we are told to avoid. Yep, indeed they can be surprisingly energy efficient BUT be sure to watch your portions, too much and you'll want to fall asleep, just enough and your brain is pumped. It can be anything from a bowl of rice, to some toast or two minute noodles.

 

NO sugar

I mean it! This is the old school method of keeping awake. Truth is, it doesn't work. You will have a short-lived blood sugar spike only to drop down really low and it's super hard to get back up once your down there. Save the chocolate for another time, you will thank me later.

Caffeine

Yes an energy drink or a cup of coffee is kinda, sorta, VERY essential. BUT! I'm talking a 250ml can three hours BEFORE you plan to study. An average 500ml can of energy drink contains the same amount of caffeine of three cups of coffee. This is way too much and will leave you slightly fidgety, (at least in my experience) and may take you off balance.

Time Management 

 

 

Establish a "Power Hour"

Creating a "power hour" before you actually sit down and study is your chance to essentially perfect your study environment. This includes finding a spot where you wont be distracted, printing all necessary sheets and files, organizing papers, highlighters and all the other fancy stuff we use, getting your head phones out, a bottle of water and a pair of socks if your anything like me and freeze to death when sitting still. Have your necessities right where you can see them. I can't tell you the amount of times I sat down ready to start only to get up again for something else, and then find myself mysteriously side tracked (mind you this mainly happens when studying at home).



Create a To Do List

Write a big fat to do list and when I say "big" and "fat", I don't mean an endless list of unrealistic study goals you hope to achieve by 3am. I mean BIG FAT COLOURFUL letters that you can satisfyingly cross out once they've been completed. It feels deliciously good to swipe a big black marker across each task once it's done - it does something in the mind that whispers "keep going, you're almost there!".



Organise a List of Goals

Speaking of lists, you will also want to divide your goals according to the hours you plan to stay up. For example, if you have a 500 word essay and you want to start at 11pm to 2am, I usually allocate 250 words for the first hour and repeat for the second hour, then use that last third hour to edit, polish and submit. Remember, I'm only able to do this after I have organised material before hand and know what I'm about to write. One other thing I find is being super realistic with these goals allows me to finish before my 2am deadline. Giving myself an hour to type 250 words is SO doable that I'm usually way ahead of time before I finish.



Actually Get Some Sleep

Lastly, an all-nighter isn't and shouldn't really be ALL night. The minimum amount of sleep I discovered I need in order to function like a normal human being the next day is 5 hours. It's certainly not enough but in such circumstances it's the absolute minimum and any less I consider dangerous.  Don't burn yourself out, all-nighters should be few and far between, and remember you still need to sleep. No ifs or buts about this one - and for a night owl like myself, this means I'm serious.

Do you have any secret study tips that help you ace that exam or finish that essay paper? If so, comment below, I'd love to hear what works for you. Good luck with your studies guys! I wish you incredible success and I hope you are aiming high.

Happy studious nights to all!
X

4 comments:

  1. This was so helpful, thanks for the tips girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries!! thank you for reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a good idea for a blog post! Great tips :)

    http://anotherfashionfanatic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Currently Reading:

POPULAR

archive

SEARCH